CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

THYROID GOITER.....MY GRANNY HAD ONE ONCE


Ok so I picked thyroid goiter, mainly cause its is short and easy to explain and my granny Berry had one removed a while back. I remember when i was little seeing it on her neck and i just thought she was weird and crazy granny had a crazy disease, I was half right. A defect in the normal synthesis of the TSH ( thyroid stimulating hormone) is the most common reason for a goiter in America. It comes form the pituitary (wow imagine that, I probably could of guess that, im really learning :)...) and it enlarges the thyroid. Ok back to my granny, I remember seeing it completely around her neck and then almost on the side after a couple months. She was really scaring looking when she was yelling at me and my bros especially with that huge goiter. Anyways I believe she had hers removed a while ago, but some other treatments are available. One is taking a pill that reduces the TSH. And obviously you can have them surgically removed and i bet now days they dont leave a huge scar. I believe a malignant goiter only happens in like 5%. Also another reason to remove a goiter is cosmetic reasons (I guarantee this is why my granny got hers taken off, she was always complaining about how she looked and well now she doesn't look mean anymore, just a little crazy ;)...) oh yeah you can see enlarged thyroids on xrays.



I LOVE MY GRANNY

0 comments: